17 Jul 2017

Companion Planting

I have been learning about companion planting.  Companion planting is planting compatible plants next to or in close proximity to each other.  These plants help each other.  They help with the plant’s general health, as well as act as deterrents for pests and diseases.  And they really do work!  Here is a list of some of the fruit trees in my garden with their corresponding companion plants.  I have seen the ‘fruits of their labours’!  I have watched as the fruit tree itself picks up.  I noticed this especially with my plum and apricot trees.  I *think* it’s because of the tansy…..

PLUM - tansy chives, marigolds dahlia

QUINCE - garlic

PEARS/APPLES - chives, garlic, onions, nasturtiums, wallflower, marigolds

ALMOND - tansy, garlic, chives, marigolds, dahlia, nasturtiums

APRICOT - southernwood, tansy, basil

CHERRY - potatoes (no plums)

LEMON - lavender, chives, garlic, onions, horseradish 

CURRANTS - marigolds, dahlia

PEACH - tansy, garlic, basil, chives, marigolds, lemon balm, spinach, nasturtiums, dahlia

The fruit trees are now mature and I do believe they had a good start in life.  Good healthy soil will always nourish the plant itself.

One of my brothers swears by planting according to the moon's phases, but I haven't tried that as yet.  Seeing as the companion planting method worked so well, it encourages me to try a variety of other methods.









No comments:

Post a Comment